Monday, April 1, 2013

But That's Not Racist

"But That's Not Racist" D-Trix

"Oh you're Asian? Is your favorite subject math?"
"You're Filipino? Aren't you suppose to be brown?"
"Do you speak the 'ching chong' language?"

Racial Micro-aggression is common for those who don't blend into the society of White Americans and are viewed the same as every one else in their culture. 

Just because I'm "Asian", people expect me to be really good at math. Sure, if it means solving what "2+2" equals. But just because I'm considered Asian, doesn't mean I can solve any type of math equation. Math is surprisingly my least favorite subject. I was always struggling with it throughout high school, having to take a math class at least twice. And still I had no idea how I survived Physics!   
Another thing, people always tell me that I am way too pale to be Filipino. When people think of those "typical" Filipinos they think of brown or yellow skinned Asians. Not everyone in the Filipino race is born to be brown or yellow skinned, some people are pale. Like my cousins and I from my dad side of the family, we are seriously all pale. Better yet, they were born and raised in the Philippines while I was born and raise here. And no, the heat in the tropical island of the Philippines does not make you automatically brown. 
The most all-time assumption that I made among the term "Racial Micro-Aggression" is when some people ask for my major.

"What's your major ? Nursing? Oh! What a typical Filipino thing."

Typical Filipino thing? Just because I want to be a Nurse doesn't mean I'm doing it because that's what Pinays are usual subject to be. But Nursing became a dream discovery ever since I've reached high school. Not because I'm hoping on some bandwagon and doing what every other Asian women is doing. If you were to take a peep of my family background, the only Nurses you would find are my two cousins, who happens to be guys. 

So just because I'm Asian it doesn't mean I love math or I'm a disgrace to my family because I'm pale skinned, I'm actually a blessing (LOL JK). I'm just any other Asian there will ever be. And this doesn't just apply to Asians, but other races too. When some people look at one race, the assumption of everyone else in that race is that they're all the same. It's like the saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover," don't expect everyone in one race to be exactly the same. Everyone is different. 

And no I don't speak the "Ching Chong" language, I speak "Panese" you know. . Pan-Ese. Go get two pans and start hitting them together, maybe you can learn it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment