Wednesday, March 6, 2013

College: Meeting New People

"College Buzz: The best way to make a friend or two"

"Bad Luck Brian"
Meeting people around you should be something to consider in your life whether especially in college. Just like Sara East stated in the video, college can be intimidating and lonely. It doesn't matter if it's at a university or a community college, start getting around meet new people. I mean, you don't want to end like Bad Luck Brian.

Back when you were in elementary, middle, and high school, getting to know your classmates was pretty easy. You've probably known them since elementary school or probably even develop a really close friendship with them. This may be because you've all grown to get along with one another at a young age, but when college starts, let me tell you, getting to know someone new is a whole new world for you.

When you've reached college, classrooms tend to be more extended than it usually is in high school and everyone around you will not always in the same age group as you are. Everyone is a stranger to you, but you can be lucky if you have someone in class that you've known before in your life. Still, it doesn't hurt to make new friends. But why should we make them? There are several reason why, especially since college is another place mix with almost every part of the world.

One reason could be that you can start to develop study groups. For example, let's say math is your all time struggle ever since middle school. By meeting someone in the class that you can talk to, you can start to develop communication among each other, getting together for study groups, and even getting to know who that person is.

"Shy People"
My first semester at Southwestern College was brand new to me.I did not know a single person in class, nor did I recognize anyone from high school in my classes, and I was scared for my life. Being the "shy" introvert type did not help me at all. But as the semester went by, I started to get around and just introduce myself to people in class that I sit by or friends of friends. By the end of my first semester, I realized how much I've grown to have such a connection with people I've barely met.

That's another reason, developing new friendship. Of course in college, not everyone you went to high school with will be at the exact same college as you. Some may go to UCSD, SDSU, somewhere in LA or maybe even out of state. When you get to college, it is the best opportunity to get out there and meet other people. Try joining clubs, connecting with people who are in the same major as you, and before you know it, you've met tons of people.

So why not get to know someone, even if it's that random, awkward, quite person you sit next to in class everyday or the person who you happen to sleeps in every single lecture, go ahead, push that person off his chair until he wakes up, then. . RUN. I'm kidding, but you get my point!  Maybe then, later in life, you'll thank that person for helping you accomplish apart of your milestone.

4 comments:

  1. I like the section where you wrote about how you were feeling on your first semester at Southwestern College because I can relate to how you felt. In my first class, I too didn't recognize anybody familiar. It was a strange feeling because in high school you recognize so many faces because you're with the same students for four years but the first day of college was something new. This blog post made me think of Kapwa and how it's good to treat others with unity as respect whether you know them personally or not. Check out my entry about "Meeting New People", who would've thought we had such similar feelings about meeting new people and the first day here at Southwestern College.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bae, I like this post because I can relate to it. I am very shy and introvert person and first day of school always terrifies me, but it is true that talking to someone sitting beside you everyday will be a great help because I always do that now. At first I feel out of place in my classroom, but when practicing it I become more active in class and participated more because by doing it, it helps me to be comfortable. I also have a blog post about meeting new people and becoming friends with them, you can check it at louiselovessyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Diane :) I definitely like this post, because it is relatable to so many people, including myself. I am also a very introverted person, so going up to people wouldn't be the first thing I do, even though I do want to make friends! This entry made me remember my first time in college, and a new semester always feels the same way, but better each time with good experience (hopefully). I also have an entry about new people too if you want to check it out.
    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great blog :) you really know how to mix things up and there are a lot cool things to learn from your experience. i really like how you narrated starting from a kid growing up while showing the changes when it comes to making a bond with others, the only part that i want to see more is when you started your first semester in SWC it would be awesome if you can name some people and some things you did to develop that bond that you have now it will also compliment the tittle of your blog :D but all in all i had a great time thanks for posting this blog :D

    ReplyDelete