Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Crash for the Class

"Oh my god, this class is so far"

It was the second day of college and I was walking to my English 114 class , stress and frustrated while studying the map of the campus,  little did I know this class was at the very back of the campus. And where was I? The very front of the campus.

"Oh just GREAT."

I came early that day, just to be certain that I get to the right class and that I get there five minutes early. I made my way of what seems to be twenty minutes of my time just walking, following the path that I highlighted on my map like it was some type of "ghetto" GPS. And that trip to class was a work out. Endless heat from the sun started beating down on me and tons of sweat started to manipulate one by one, I finally reached what seemed to be where the class was, and boy was I exhausted! I was relieved when I saw Karina, one of the first the few I've met in class on the first day of class.

The professor finally came and unlocked the room, I hurried in and sat down in the second row just to be sure I get a good view of the professor since reading lips became a complete habit of mine. Second day of class, and yet I made three friends so far. I felt the accomplishment, but not so much because I was still scared and nervous to meet other people.

The professor did instruct us to sit with a partner and I was just sitting there looking at the seat next to me and counting off endless questions of "what ifs":

"What if no one sits next to me, does that make me look stupid?"
"I don't even have friends in this class who am I suppose to call over?"
"Should I run out? Pretend I never was here in the first place."

I just sat there so awkwardly and nervous. I mean this is my first year and college and I honestly had no idea what I was suppose to really expect on the first week of school alone. Luckily, Seirra sat next to me and she warmly greeted me. I was again, relieved this day was going better as expected. We sat there, watching all these people come through the day toward the professor and I honestly had no idea what was going on. The professor then announce to the people who are crashing to listen closely.

"Crashing? What? I don't get this? Are they suppose to like ruin the class like they weren't invited or something?"

I was completely lost. I have never heard the term ever about crashing a class. Okay maybe I registered a little too late for this to all actually sink into all these new terms I have to learn for college, but eventually I learned that these were the people who were trying to get a room in the class because they needed that certain class.  And I've got to tell you it was A LOT of people trying to crash the class, but as the professor started presenting what this class is, the whole Bayan community and being enrolled to the PD class, majority of those crashers went to find another English class. Which left off to a small amount of crashers who were really showing that they needed this class.

Luckily I didn't have to be one of those people to crash into any of my classes, but at least now I would know the consequences of wanting to get the class I really want next semester and actually waiting last minute to register. And trust me, there will be no crashing doors for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment